Provid can supply Technical Production
and Lighting Design Services to Television Broadcast and Theatre Production.
With 24 years experience working
for New Zealand's State Broadcaster - TVNZ, and a host of other Technical
and Lighting Design credits.
Hello let me introduce myself......
My Name is Peter Benner. I started work in the
Television Industry at Television New Zealand's - Avalon Studios in 1975.
My initial assignment was as a Television Cameraman. Over
the successive years that followed, I have achieved full Operational credits
in most facets of Television Broadcast Production.
Training and Experience
1975 - 1980-
- Employed and Trained as a Television Cameraman
- Transferred to what was known at Avalon as the 'Television Assistance'
scheme. This gave the trainees opportunities to work and take training
in all areas of Television Production including - Camera, Sound, Floor
Management, Editing, Properties, Rigging, Lighting, Staging. This training
gave a good solid understanding and practical "hands-on" application
(Most trainees achieved what is known as 'ON AIR' status in each area before
they moved on).
- Transferred to Outside Broadcast Section where I trained in Sound Operation,
going Solo ' To Air ' in 1977
- Experience was gained in the Operation of Microwave Linking, Vision
Control and Electronic and Mechanical maintenance.
- From 1977 to 1980, I functioned as an Outside Broadcast Vision Controller
and Technical Director.
1980 to 1981-
- Transferred to the Studio Vision Control Section and started training
in Lighting Design and Technical Production.
- Functioned as a Studio and Outside Broadcast Vision Controller and
an Assistant Technical Producer.
1981 to 1985-
- Trained as a Technical Producer
- I worked on construction of special projects with the Avalon Engineering
Department for Studios.
- Assigned to Outside Broadcast as a Technical Producer / Director for
a variety of jobs including E.F.P.,Sport, Current Affairs and Entertainment.
1986 to 1991
- I applied to an advertised position of Technical Producer achieving
this role in 1986.
- Extensive and practical experience in the Operation of Lighting on
major light entertainment Outside Broadcasts including the 'Asian Pacific
Song contest', The 'Benson and Hedges Fashion Design awards', '25 years
of Television' and countless others. Always keen to keep ahead, I led in
the implementation and utilization of new technologies.
- I built and technically managed a mobile 3 camera unit that travelled
New Zealand, adding extra production resources for large multi camera outside
- Technically managed possibly one of New Zealand's first true EFP Telemovies.
Complete with CCU and location 1inch VTR's.
- Assigned to the Commonwealth Games for a variety of duties including
the construction and operation of a 3 Camera vehicle for the data control
of remote Microwave linked cameras.
- Studio Technical Production and Lighting Design for a wide range of
in house projects ranging from News and Current affairs, Drama, Light Entertainment
1991 to 1994-
- Lighting Director for the 'Benson & Hedges fashion Design awards
1992, 1993 and 1994.
- Technical Producer for 'On Air' series such as TVNZ's Top rating 'FAIR
GO' consumer rights program, 'SUNDAY' Arts show and a host of other programs.
- Appointed Sound Manager at Avalon Studios, which included direct responsibility
for the purchase, implementation and application of equipment and staff
to meet the needs of Production from a production sound point of view this
cover all Studio and Field activities.
1995 to 1999-
- I was appointed Operations Manager to the Division of Avalon Studios
known as ENVISAGE. This area was responsible for the operation of all studio
and field activities. The position of Operations Manager involved the direct
management of 90 staff in seven specialist technical and design groups.
Equipment and plant maintenance, allocation, purchase and a direct input
into the marketing and planning of the ENVISAGE operation.
- Although the role of Operations Manager was full time, I did however
keep a direct line with the sound department and continued to directly
manage this area, and represent this craft skill at the highest levels.
- Assigned as Technical Manager to 'Planet Go' the Multi Media division
of Avalon Studios. This involved the technical up keep of the computer
systems, software, and interface to the rest of the Avalon Production process.
It was my job to make sure the Multi media Design staff had all the technical
resources they required to complete their tasks.
- As a passionate Lighting Director with recognised and sort after skills,
I continued to take every opportunity to continue to work as the Lighting
Director/Technical Producer for Dennis Spencer Productions - 'SHOWCASE'.which
screened on Television One.
- My last major assignment was to assist the TVNZ Children's Department
move from their Christchurch studios to the Avalon complex. As well as
taking care of the on air look for the 1999 series of 'WHAT NOW', I was
also charged with ensuring that their operation extracted the best out
of the Avalon Operation.
I left Avalon Studios in December 1999 to pursue a full time role in
PROVID LTD and work within the Television Industry
from a freelance position.
2000 to 2003-
- I was contracted to Sydney Olympic Broadcasting authority 'SOBO' as
a Technical Manager - responsible to the sport of Volley Ball at Sydney
Olympic Park in 2000.
- Lighting Direction, Vision Control and Technical Management duties
continue for Television New Zealand, Sky Television, On Site Broadcasting
and TV3 covering a range of Programs such as Sport, News and Current Affairs
and Light Entertainment.
2003 to 2006
- In 2003 I started as Operations Manager of the newly established Expressions
Arts and Entertainment Centre. www.expressions.org.nz
I am responsible for the for the day to day operation and management of
the technical facilities and building infrastructure . During my time at
the centre so far I have been directly responsible for the concert presentation
of a number of International performances including -Richard Gilewitz,
Vardos, Hans Theesink, Barb Dwyer, Martin Pearson, Alistair Hulett, Totally
Gourdgeous, Kristina Olsen, Peter Donohoe, Mundy Turner, Kavisha Mazzella
and a host of local performance including the NZSO regionals and Wellinton
Vector Orchestra,Roger Fox Big Band,Georgie Fame in Concert, Michael Houston
in Concert, John Chen, Barry Douglas, New Zealand String Quartet, Hot Club
Sandwich, Pascal Roge, Deidre Irons, New Zealand Youth Brass Band, Montana
Jazz Festival, On Stage Productions and a host of other local performances.
This is a much condensed list of my achievements and activities for the
past two and a half decades. Over this time I have provided much support
for Theatre Production, Dance and Private Television Production and of course
Television New Zealand. My interests and skills are wide with proven credits
Please email me if you would like
any more information or clarification.
Multi Camera Video Production